Tabs

Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Scrappily Ever After!

I started following a brand new blog a couple of weeks ago. Based in Australia, Once Upon A...Sketch went live in April of this year and its primary focus is to get everyone to include more journaling on their pieces. Journaling is such an important element of a scrapbook. Yes a picture is worth a thousand words,but unless some of those words are jotted down, you never know how long they will stay clear and focused in one's memory. This is where OUAS comes in; They are posting 2 challenges a month based on encouraging the art of journaling the memory that you have chosen to scrap about.

For their first challenge they included the following sketch to base your layout on and that it must include AT LEAST 25 words of HANDWRITTEN journaling on your scrapbook page.



The deadline to submit your entry is April 15th, which is also when their next challenge will be posted. Just like me, I left it down to the last couple of days to finally sit down and figure something out! I turned the sketch on it's side and used a portrait/vertical style photo instead of a landscape/horizontal one. It was up to everyone's own interpretation and this is what I came up with:



It was the first time I've done a considerable amount of knife work, cutting out all the flowers and vine swirlies, and I kinda like how it all came together in the end :)





I actually had a hard time with the journaling. In the end I kept it short and sweet and captured, in my heart, the memory of Oliver's 2nd Christmas :)



What was used:
Paper:
Fancy Pants Designs "Christmas Magic"
Tools:
Cutter Bee Craft Knife by EK Success
Chatterbox Journaling Genie (to trace the wavy lines)
American Crafts Metallic Markers "Gold"
Adhesive:
Xyron double sided tape
American Crafts Glue Runner

7 comments:

Nadia Cannizzo said...

Hi! Thanks for joining us at Once Upon A...Sketch. This is a great take on the sketch..! It was lovely reading your comments on this post...just refreshing when people do that because mostly people just post their projects. Which is fine, but it was lovely to hear what you had to say. This is a lovely layout. THANKS for joining us and hope to see many more form you. xoxo Nadia,

Irma said...

beautiful work! You actually cut the detais out with a craft knife..wow! hats off to you. Thanks for joining us!

Kyla and Dan Gunville said...

Thank you so much Ladies! I absolutely loved working with the sketch and I'm so looking forward to what you have in store next!

Lisa Zubritsky said...

KYLA! You make me LOVE christmas magic...I have it and I feel like everytime I do a LO with it I don't like it! I need a craft knife! good job!

{Ross} said...

Very pretty! Thak to play with us on Once Upon A Sketch!

Helen Tilbury said...

i love how you have journaled here with the wavy lines - it looks marvellous!!! Thanks for playing at OUAS :)

Lou said...

Gorgeous take on the sketch and so creative! Love your journalling too and how you have embraced it!! Wonderful to have you "Once Upon..."
Lou xx