Tabs

Thursday, August 25, 2011

Memories in a Shadow Box


My sister's wedding was quickly approaching and although Dan and I had already picked up the newlywed's wedding present several months ago (Paderno Pots and Pans) I really wanted to make something of my own to give to Rachel and Alex that held some meaning to them.

A group of online scrappers that I'm part of were chatting about wedding presents a week before the wedding and a few creative ladies had mentioned that a decorated shadow box with the wedding invitation inside can be a lovely gift and keepsake. Thank goodness I had kept Rachel and Alex's invitation, what a great idea! With my creative juices flowing I headed to the craft store to pick up the supplies I'd need.

This is the very first shadow box project I've done, so I wasn't sure how it was all going to turn out. I figured because no one knew I was making one, if it didn't turn out pretty then I need not give it away ;)

First I covered the shadow box backing with some sparkly and lacy paper. I'm not sure what kind of paper it is as it wasn't opaque but wasn't really translucent like vellum. It was very fibrous as well, but gorgeous!



Using a piece of green cardstock that very nearly matched the green in the invitation I cut out a piece to use a border.



Once the invitation was adhered to the backing, I started to mess around with some embellishments. At the store I found these Cherry Tree Branches by Jolee's that matched my sister's invites perfectly! After cutting them to suit what I wanted and rearrging them 100 different ways before I was satisfied with how they looked the shadow box was complete!



Here's the final product! I kept it simple and it really didn't take that long to make. I hope the bride and groom will enjoy it :)


No comments: