Tabs

Saturday, August 27, 2011

A New Blog Challenge!


Back at working the night shifts this weekend and that means even more spare time to work on blog posts!

I would say about 2 months ago some scrappy sisters of mine over at Crafty Enablers had mentioned these really great youtube tutorials on Distress Inks. I went over to check them out and proceeded to watch the whole 12 tutorial series in a weekend. Seriously, if you've ever been interested in learning about Distress inks or need to see them in action you have to check out Britta Swiderski's No Stress Distress Inks Tutorials on her youtube channel! I was so anxious to get started and give them a try so I immediately went ahead and ordered some colours from Crafts to Favor. I coulnd't believe that right after seeing these tutorials, CtF had a Distress Ink sale (perfect timing!!) In Canada one of those babies sell for $8.99 at the big box craft stores so to see them on sale down in the States for $3.30 was enough of a bargain for me to order quite a few colours ;)

To cut a long story short, I am now in love with using Distress Inks. I love how the colours blend and how many different ways you can use them! So after watching several more tutorials I then headed over and started reading her blog and finding so much inspiration there for cardmaking! From there I found the Young Crafter's Unite Blog and have just recently started following posts there.

This week they posted their first Blog Challenge....to create a card using an image that you have coloured in.



I decided to make a multi-page funky folded card with some stamped images coloured in using a watercolour technique with Distress Inks:



Colours at the ready on some wax paper I stamped my images with Versamark and then heat embossed them with black powder, then painted/coloured them in.



This is the first time I've ever watercoloured before and I know I will definitely be doing this again! I love how it turned out!

Here's the front cover of the card:



Opened to 1st page:



2nd Page:



And the last page: (I left the very last square blank so I have room to write a message)



Here's what I used to make my card:
-Recollections Cardstock in Grey
-Distress Inks (Tattered Rose, Worn Lipstick, Peeled Paint, Crushed Olive, Mustard Seed, Spiced Marmalade, Tea Dye, Vintage Photo, Broken China, Stormy Sky)
-Sizzix Texture Boutique with Damask embossing folder
-Hero Arts clear stamps, Everyday Sayings
-We R Memory Keepers Crop-a-dile and eyelets
-Ribbon

I had so much fun with this challenge and look forward to what they have in store next! If you get a chance head on over and check out their blog!

5 comments:

Marie / Legojenta said...

Great job on your first time watercoloring! Love how you card is so interactive as well =) Thank you so much for joining our first Young Crafters Unite challenge!

Chari M. said...

Glad to see the watercolor technique used to color in your images. Very cool folding job too! Thanks for playing at YCU!

Mistylynn said...

Beautiful job Kyla. I love it!

Jess said...

Cool cool! I love watercoloring and you did it perfectly. Very vibrant! Thank you so much for playing along with our first challenge at Young Crafters Unite! :-)

Britta Swiderski said...

I'm so flattered that you were inspired by my video series on Distress Inks! I definitely love them too. (Obviously... hehe!) I'm so glad you enjoy my tutorials and hope you enjoy more of them in the future. Thanks so much for entering in our very first challenge. I love this watercolor look. It's so vibrant! Thanks for playing along at Young Crafters Unite!