Tabs

Saturday, April 28, 2012

A Trip of a Lifetime!

I think I still am on a vacation high, even though I have been home now for 10 days or so, I can't seem to bring myself back down from the absolutely amazing time I had!

In a word...errr...in a photo I should say:
Outstanding.
 
Where is this you might ask? Well, my travels took me overseas to spend a jam packed week in Scotland! A trip that I had been planning for about 6 months finally came to fruition and even while I was over there I truly could not believe I had finally made it!

Back in October of 2011 I was presented with an opportunity to fly over to celebrate a very special day with some very special people who are near and dear to my heart. Of course initially it seemed an impossibility that I would be able to fly over, with exorbitant flight costs, taking time off work, do I bring my 2 year old son with me? Could we afford it? Do we all fly over? Just me? Questions after questions of why I couldn't/shouldn't/wouldn't go. Finally my husband (who earned uber brownie points with this one) said that I needed to go. It would do me good, I haven't flown overseas (family in England) in eleven years, so go, have a wonderful time and he said he would hold down the fort while I was gone.
So flights were booked, hotels booked, itinerary planned....the hardest part was waiting from October to April!
 
In the meantime my brother heard that I was travelling abroad and asked if he could tag along. Now an adult, he has not been on a plane since he was 5 years old and hasn't been on a holiday without our parents. I think he needed a chance to stretch his travelling wings. After I had had such a fantastic vacation last summer in New York City with my sister, I thought this would be a great opportunity to spend some time with my brother and make travel memories of our own. (Ideally it would have been amazing for all 3 of us could have gone)
 
Finally April came round I was so excited to leave! We flew from Ottawa to Toronto, then to Amsterdam (yep we had a 4 hour layover in The Netherlands!) and then to Glasgow. A very long and weary 24 hours of flights and airports, but once we arrived on Scottish soil it was worth it!

I went camera crazy while over there, so here is a highlighted reel of the 500+ photos that came home with me:

Me outside St Mungo's Cathedral, Glasgow
 
A Celtic Cross Tombstone within the Glasgow Necropolis

 Inside the Nave of St Mungo's, Glasgow

 Stirling Castle, Stirling

The National William Wallace Monument, Stirling

 Edinburgh Castle, Edinburgh

 St Mary's Cathedral, Edinburgh

My Brother and I at The Treehouse, Loch Goil

 The Lookout, Loch Goil

The Treehouse at The Lodge, Loch Goil

Loch Goil in the Evening

(the photo at the top is of the countryside where we stayed for a few days in Balfron)

As with any vacation, this one went by too quickly and one week was not enough time. We had a spectacular time and were able to see and learn so much! Most important most of that week was spent with a group of truly amazing people who I love and cannot thank enough for travelling with us and driving us around! From walking around discovering the city of Glasgow, to sightseeing in Stirling and Edinburgh to celebrating and relaxing on the shores of Loch Goil I will cherish the memories I've made.

And I can't wait to start scrapping about it!

No comments: