Tabs

Monday, July 22, 2013

PGCB - Watercolouring

Hi! I have been stingy with the blog posts lately. It's summer, what can I say? when the heat sets in so does my tendency to be lazy. Also we've been down at the lake where there is a lack of blogging and scrapping time (which is a good thing!)

Anyways...

Over at The Paper Girls Challenge Blog we have been working on water colouring projects. I wasn't feeling the layout vibe, so I decided to make a shadow box. With time being spent at the lake I felt like it was time to add another project to the empty walls down in that cottage of ours.

Last summer while out on the boat one evening with the hubs there was a gorgeous red and yellow sunset over the shoreline and lake. I snapped a few shots and have been waiting to use them for something. The water colouring challenge seemed like the best idea! I could use the colours in the photo and reflect them back in how I wanted to colour.

I started with a dampened piece of water colour paper and using sponges and diluted Distress Inks I layered the colours starting with yellows and working my way through the spectrum to a dark red. I know it's not traditional water colouring, but you get the idea. After it had dried completely I went back over and used the same technique using a different textured sponge and Mister Huey's in similar colours to the Distress inks. I finished it off with a spritz of Glimmer Mist to add some lovely sparkle. Here's a look at the final piece....

I apologize, I only had an iphone photo of this.
 When it came time to put the shadow box together I didn't want to use the water colour paper as a whole piece in the background. I was trying (if it's possible to see) to emulate the way the water rippled and the wavy-ish texture of the clouds which bounced the colour around a bit in the photo....well that's what I was trying to go for in the background too. I'm not sure if it ultimately worked but I do like how it came together regardless. I used Kiwi Lane Designs templates to trace out the waves and alternated using the water coloured paper and Kraft paper.


So now it's time to package this baby up and find the perfect spot to hang it on the wall at our cottage. Be sure to visit The Paper Girls Challenge to see all the beautiful water coloured projects!

Also a self plug here....please visit our cottage blog too! It's still in it's early stages and like I say, blogging has not been on the top of my list of "To-Do's" but it's got some great info about the area!


No comments: